Liberty-minded Ohio Republicans met for the Republican Liberty Caucus of Ohio 2016 Convention on Saturday, September 24th at King Avenue Five in Columbus. Top leaders from all over Ohio were in attendance – Republicans who believe that Ohio should be a state that stands on Constitutional and free market principles.
The keynote address was given by the newest member of the United States House of Representatives, Warren Davidson. Congressman Davidson replaced Speaker John Boehner in Ohio’s 8th Congressional District. Rep. Davidson spoke about his commitment to the oath that he has taken, “to serve, protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic”.
The first panel, “What can citizens do in the fight for a better Ohio?” looked at activism and what works to make a change at a local and state level. Panelists included:
· Garrett Kehr, Ohio President, Young Americans for Liberty
· Greg Lawson, Senior Policy Analyst, Buckeye Institute.
· Maurice Thompson, Executive Director of the 1851 Center for Constitutional Law
· Tom Zawistowski, President of the We the People Convention, President of the Portage County TEA Party and former Chair of the Ohio Liberty Coalition
The second panel, “Liberty in the Legislature” focused on Ohio’s General Assembly and politics in the State of Ohio that have moved us closer or farther away from Liberty. Panelists included:
· Former State Rep John Adams
· State Rep John Becker
· State Rep Tom Brinkman
· State Rep Ron Hood
· State Senator Kris Jordan
The RLCOH presented the “Champions of Liberty” award to State Senator Kris Jordan, and State Representative Tom Brinkman as the senator and representative with the most consistent, liberty minded voting record. The Chairman’s Choice Award for Inspirational Volunteer was also presented to Public Relations Chairman Mathew Erickson.
The event also included a business portion, where RLCOH members elected a new governing board. Election results were as follows:
· Chairman – Bill Yarbrough of Columbus, Ohio
· Vice-Chairman – Chris Sawicki of Medina, Ohio
· Secretary – Kelly Sanders of Pickerington, Ohio
· Treasurer – Jim Rovenski of Columbus, Ohio
At Large Board Members:
· Ann Becker of West Chester, Ohio – Chairwoman of the Field Development Committee
· Mathew Erickson of North Canton, Ohio – Chairman of the Public Relations Committee
· Scott Jeryzk of Columbus, Ohio – Chairman of the Candidates Committee
· Michael Newbern of Delaware, Ohio – Chairman of the Legislative Affairs Committee
Videos of the event can be found on the RLCOH YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK4xpE-iynG2EEnC4lrfUnw